Monday, July 20, 2009

It's an addiction for a reason

This year I have developed a shopping addiction. I am completely aware of this. It's theraputic for me. Anytime I feel particularly stressed out, upset, or bad about myself, I buy stuff. I do not classify this in the dangerous stage (yet), simply because I don't just buy things and never use them. I legit buy things I want and end up using. It doesn't change the fact that in general these are not things I NEED. Maybe one day this addiction will go away. It's definitely gotten better than it was. But I kind of hope it doesn't because now I look put together all the time.

Here's an example of how far it's escalated: This morning, as routine (especially at work), I was browsing Forever21.com. I decided to look at shoes today, and they had a pair of really cute black ankle boots, which I still don't have a pair of. AND they were only $28. And so I started imagining outfits I would wear said boots with. But I didn't buy them. Then this afternoon, I decided just to browse dresses on target.com. I'm usually not a huge fan, but I'm going there after work today, so I figured I'd preemptively see if there was anything good. Then I saw this black dress, just a short-sleeved jersey dress, simple, but practical, and I said to myself "Omg, this dress with tights and those black ankle boots would be sooooo good."

AND THEN I REMEMBERED THAT I DON'T ACTUALLY OWN THE BOOTS I JUST HAD FANTASIZED ABOUT OWNING THEM EARLIER.

Sooooooooo pathetic. I wish I spent my day fantasizing about my career, saving the planet, world peace, or at least something lucrative. Instead I spend all day thinking about weddings, boys, and OUTFITS. How shallow am I?

Although, speaking of weddings, Sarah came up with an interesting career idea that I hadn't really considered. We spent all weekend talking about the future, and one of the things I'm becoming increasingly concerned about is how I have ZERO vision for even a year from now. There's nothing I really feel drawn to. I feel like there's some reason for this that I haven't been clued into yet, whether it be a life experience I need to have or what have you, but today she said something that sparked my interest...or at least the wedding fever's interest.

What if I became a wedding planner? JLo style? I would probably be awesome at it actually. It combines two of my great loves--weddings, and planning things.

It's an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment