Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I now pronounce you addicted to weddings

Remember when I posted about how I wanted everyone to get engaged? Well, it turns out, that happening does nothing to improve my wedding fever.

Last night when I got home from work Lyds (for those of you not in the know, she's been my best friend since I was 15) called me. I actually almost didn't answer because I was absolutely exhausted and wanted to take a baby nap before dinner, but I hadn't talked to her since my bday so I answered. This is essentially how the conversation went:

Shan: Hiiiiii!!!!
Lyds: Hi Shan how are you?!
Shan: Gooooood, how are you?
Lyds: Pretty gooood!!

But I could hear it in her voice. She sounded excited and not just because she was talking to me.

Shan: Hold on. What's going on? Is something going on?
Lyds: What? Yeah everything's fine!
Shan: Are you okay? You sound like you have something to tell me.
Lyds: Haha yeah I'm fine! No, everything's good!

And then I was confused because I was sure I was right.

Shan: Oh, ok, well that's good haha
Lyds: Well, I actually do have some news.

(heart stops)

Lyds: I'M ENGAGED!!!!!!!
Shan: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT!!!!!

I mean, I knew to expect it soon. We hung out in May and she straight up told me they had talked about getting married and it would be in October, he just hadn't proposed yet. But it's still so nuts. I remember when Lydia hadn't even held hands with someone. And now she's engaged. It's so weird.

I think the weirdest part is that it actually is socially acceptable. Lydia is mormon, and mormon girls tend to get married a lot younger than most non-mormons. Right after we graduated high school I used to talk about how I thought she had the potential to be engaged within a year and how weird that would be for me because we were so young. But we're 21. I actually am stunned she lasted this long.

I just can't believe it. It's going to be such a change. Suddenly we're all becoming adults. I mean think about it. Sarah's one semester away from cutting ties to home and moving to NYC forever. Lydia could potentially be pregnant in a year. Most of my friends are going to spend the next ten months figuring out what REAL job they're going to get. It's surreal.

I feel sadly behind. It's so unlike me to have zero idea of what's to come. I'd like to think it's because the stars are aligning and setting me up for something amazing, but I wonder if that's just wishful thinking. It's kind of scary. Actually a lot scary.

In the meantime, I'll continue to obsess over Lydia's happiness and spend my day looking at bridesmaid dresses and pictures of the DC temple. Want to hear something depressing? Lyds is about to marry the man of her dreams, and I don't even have a date to her wedding. I'M GOING TO DIE ALONE!!!!!!!!!

Psh please. Any man would be lucky to have me.

No comments:

Post a Comment