Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ah the things you'll never see



So I just spent like two hours writing this intense blog post about expression and how this place supresses it and how I don't know what I'm going to do when I graduate...but before I posted it I waited like 15 minutes...and now I'm not gonna post it. I don't feel the need. It's too wordy and boring and there was no specific train of thought and nobody cares enough to read it. I just needed to write it and get it out of my system. So now it will sit in blogger forever and I can read it but no one else needs to be subjected to it. Tight.
This is what I did today at work:

In case you were wondering, that's the COMMANDANT'S plane (the head of the entire Coast Guard). This plane cost 5 MILLION DOLLARS to make...and that was in 2001. It's easily the nicest plane I've ever been it, and probably ever WILL be in. Usually it's being used to transport VIPs (so not just the Commandant) all over the world, but sometimes they need it for training exercises, which was what happened today and why I got to ride it. I guess whoever used to have my job is friends with one of the pilots, and so a few months ago he took her out on one of the training drills. So she arranged for a couple of the interns in her old office and a couple people in her new office (she got promoted but still works at CG Headquarters) to go out today. We flew from Reagan to Dover, Delaware, and the training was taking/off landing, so we practiced that three or four times and then came home.

So essentially I got to do this just for kicks. And it doesn't count as leave (time off) because a)it's for the Coast Guard, and b)Apparently with summer hires they encourage supervisors to give you cool trips, because they want you to come back and work for the Coast Guard permanently. It's a recruiting tool. A recruiting tool I am TOTALLY down with. Because so far, this is what I'm doing this summer:
-A trip to the Capital to sit in on a Coast Guard hearing (which I actually didn't go to because it was on a Friday and I don't work Fridays)
-A trip to Dover and back in an airplane
-A trip to Baltimore to ride on a CG Cutter (a boat)
-A FREE OVERNIGHT trip to Elizabeth City, I guess to go on a tour of a building. Oh, and did I mention this is during the work week? And did I also mention that we get PAID to go? I wonder if we'll be able to go to the beach...

Pretty fricken sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment