Sunday, August 15, 2010

22 going on 75

WTF

Here's why I feel like I am on the verge of being called elderly:

-Today I looked in the mirror and found TWO (COUNT THEM) gray hairs growing roughly in the same place on my head. This is absolutely unacceptable. There has been one in said location for a while now but two is enough to make someone flip. That someone being me. I'm blaming it on the stress of the summer.
-For the past week my back has been killing me. I have no idea why. I thought maybe it was due to traveling on a bus and then sitting in cramped seats in theaters but it WILL NOT go away. So I scheduled a massage (...and a mani/pedi...) at a day spa for tomorrow. I'm thinking of this as a medical investment.
-I am tired ALL THE TIME. I went to bed BEFORE MIDNIGHT last night, and wouldn't get out of bed before 10:45 this am, and I still feel tired. UGH. Granted I had gotten four hours of sleep on estimate the past four nights beforehand, soooo maybe that doesn't have to do with being old?
-I am in Hilton Head, SC. And this island is literally populated only with retirees. Rich ones.

In other news vacation was absolutely necessary. I am basically in a state of bliss. Yesterday we woke up at the late hour of 4:50 am, left at 5:15, and for some insane reason I had agreed the day before to drive. Which I ended up doing the entire way. Nine hours? Yeah that's a long time. But all of this was overshadowed by the GLORIOUSNESS of last night.

After church, since we had no groceries and no one felt like cooking, we decided to go out. Since I am Food Network obsessed, I had vaguely remembered reading the Food Network mag I stole from work about Robert Irvine, host of Dinner: Impossible (and all around bamf), and how he had a restaurant on Hilton Head Island. At the time I committed this to memory since that's where the fam goes on vaca and I thought maybe in my most glorious dreams I would be able to convince them to go eat there.

Turns out, last night was a most glorious dream. Maybe it was because of the ecstasy of being here, but they were like "Psh, Food Network star chef? Done and done!" So after making a reservation (which was amazingly available for our MASSIVE dinner party), the Kingetts/Henleys/our Spanish live-in Emilio ventured to Eat! Restaurant.

It was hands down the best meal I've ever had. And you know it's good all around when EVERYONE there agrees. Bacon wrapped dates, caesar salad, and pan roasted sausage stuffed chicken roulade with roasted vegetable couscous. I need this recipe because it seriously was unbelievable. Oh and we got this amazing chocolate dessert that probably was as many calories as I consumed total in the previous week. My cousin Jordan got this crazy dessert that was Sweet Potato Bread Pudding with Cinnamon-Tabasco ice cream. That sounds HORRIBLE, and it was AMAZING. We were all freaking out.

Luckily for me, the awesomeness of the evening does not stop there. Because Robert Irvine was THERE. AT THE RESTAURANT!!!! We were sitting in the lobby waiting to be seated, and no one was paying attention when my dad goes "Uhhh...isn't that the guy?" The only reason Padre even recognized him is because he had just happened to be looking at one of the pictures on the wall with Robert Irvine in it. Turns out padre was correct. Robert was there just eating with friends I guess. But he talked to us a bunch of times. Aka my life is now complete.

The icing on the cake was the drunkenness of my mom and Lisa (we're on vacation with my dad's cousin Lisa, her husband Joe, and their kids Jordan and Mariah). They both downed two Martinis each before dinner even came (greygoose for Madre, chocolate for Lisa...typical), which meant that they were DEFINITELY both tipsy, borderline drunk. When Christian asked my mom if she was happy Dad drove instead...she gave him a thumbs up. Enough said. Jacob and I were dying.

Today has included sleeping innnn, food shopping, and boggle battles. That's because it's poured all day. You know I'm happy when I'm not even upset because going to the beach is out of the question. Tomorrow is massage day. Good riddance back pain. Now I think it's time to do something productive. Aka watch a movie. I should probably go back to job applications, but I can save that for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment