Saturday, January 29, 2011

Miracle Car

First of all, no whining today, because I have zero responsibilities until tonight. Essentially I can sleep all day if I want...which is awesome.

Now to the story at hand. I love my car. I have been obsessed with it since the first time I test drove it (almost four years ago now...woof). Actually I probably have been obsessed with it since I started looking for cars to replace my old one that wasn't really drivable anymore:So sad. Silver Bullet, may you rest in peace. 8/10/06

Anyway...back to current car...I loved it online, and I SUPER loved it on the road. So St. Patrick's Day weekend 2007 it was mineeeee.

But last night, my car took it to a whole new level. Backstory: One of the functions my car has is a gas countdown so that I know how much longer I have until I'm out of gas. I particularly love this function because I HATE getting/paying for gas. In general I wait until the last possible moment before refilling my tank, a practice that is unwise and highly irresponsible. So last night after one of our many cast parties (last show is tonight!!! Come come come!!!), I decided to wait to get gas (I had about 20 miles to E) until I got to Manassas because it would be cheaper there.

When I finally got off 66 at Rt. 28...I had 2 miles left to E...and I didn't know where the closest gas station was. I was literally panicked. I have only gotten to 0 miles to E one other time, and it was right as we were pulling up to a gas station (I'm sure Dan remembers oh too well...I was screaming and he was taking pictures):But last night I had no idea where there even was a gas station (heads up...it's 3 effing miles off of 66). So when my countdown hit 0 miles to E and I had no gas station in sight, I freaked out a little bit. I was afraid to stop driving because I didn't know if I'd be able to start the car again. I grabbed Jane (my GPS) and had her find the closest gas station...well Jane was an EPIC fail because she had me drive in a circle to a gas station 1 mile away...THAT DIDN'T EXIST. Still panicking, I decided to just continue down 28 until I found one, disgusted with the road technology had led me down. I couldn't believe I was even still driving, it had been on 0 miles to E for at least ten minutes and 4 miles (thanks to the detour...stupid Jane). Then I saw it gleaming in the distance...a BP!

Side note. I don't particularly like BP because it's always more expensive and that whole oil spill thing. But I was not in the position to negotiate. I was a little nervous because the gas station lights were out but I didn't know what else to do, plus it would take cards 24 hours, right?

WRONG. All the pumps were shut off AND I had turned my car off. Enter FULL SCALE PANIC. I managed to turn my car on (defying all logic) and get back on 28 to continue the search for gas. At this point I wasn't even focused on where a gas station was so much as how it was 1 am and I was going to have to call someone to bring me gas. I was still screaming, btw, but I was at least coming up with a Plan B inside my head.

And then I saw it ACTUALLY gleaming in the distance...a Sunoco with the LIGHTS ON. I pulled in, saw the sign on the pump that said "24 hour cards accepted" and almost cried with joy.

I had driven for probably 7 miles on NO GAS. HOW?! HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?! I guess 0 miles to E must actually mean 0 miles to fumes (and believe me, by the time I saw the Sunoco the fumes were almost gone too...my car was starting to make unhappy sounds). Either that or I had a CAR MIRACLE. I like this option better.

Last detail...I don't typically like to rename things, especially cars (something Dan chooses to ignore...my car's name is not and has never been Ahukanaya...or Beatrice), but after last night, my car's new name is Hermione...because she is OBVIOUSLY magical:

No comments:

Post a Comment