Friday, July 23, 2010

Life updates

Well amigos, I have now officially lived in the big NY for over a month! Big time big time. I figured I'd give some life updates since my last post was highly emo.

-New apartment! It is very pretty. My landlady is tiny, polish, and ancient, and she reminds me of those troll dolls with the pink hair and jewel bellybuttons. I mean that in a good way. Except this troll would have white hair. She's nice though so ain't no thang.
-After three weeks of torture and incompetency from both UPS and Verizon, I FINALLY have internet in my new apartment! Aka it is blissful. I now have no excuse to not apply for at least five jobs a day. I have probably applied for over 50 jobs at this point. Zero interviews. Awesome.
-I have a new roommate! Her name is Carrie and she went to UVA which means she's smarter than me. Another reason I know she's smarter than me is because she waited until she had a job before she moved here. But she's really really nice and I'm very excited to not be living by myself anymore! Also she brought a microwave...now my apartment is perfect.
-I have learned that the best cure for a bad day is seeing a show, seeing as it's insanely easy to do so. Last week I saw Next to Normal (Alice Ripley's last week...gf was FIERCE) and then A Little Night Music (Bernadette, also fierce, but duh). The problem here is that shows are not cheap. Then again, nothing here is cheap. PLEASE ALL I NEED IS A JOB PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
-I have new shoes. They're from Anthro and they're perfect
-INCEPTION WAS THE BEST MOVIE I'VE SEEN IN YEARS, MAYBE EVER. I saw it last night and was literally wrecked. If you haven't seen it yet you MUST. I can't get over how good it was.
-I am preparing myself for the onslaught of friends in the coming month. Now that summer is drawing to a close/I'm settled, all my peeps are coming to visit and it makes me so so so so happy! Madre and Padre are coming this Tues-Sat yayayayayayay
-Summer ending in a monthish means two things. 1. More people from JMU are moving here! Which rocks. 2. HOPEFULLY THE HEAT WILL START TO GO AWAY. I mean seriously I used to LOVE summer. Just last night I was talking about how I want it to be COLDER (what?!) because I miss wearing tights.
-My legs are sort of starting to get used to this place. Aka walking at least three miles every day (I do not exaggerate). However, the cankle is not a fan. Let me tell you a little bit about the cankle. Don't assume I just have disgusting ankles. I do not. In fact they're quite lovely. But two years ago at the infamous SF lock-in 2k8, during an epic spy game I may or may not have fallen down the dark stairs in my quest to be sneaky and merciless on the chilluns. Annnnd I am pretty sure I broke my right ankle, I just was too lazy to go to the emergency room (that was also the summer of the stones, and I was tired of hospitals). It swelled like CRAZY and took forever to go back to normal (it is now though, no worries), so I fondly named it the cankle. It healed, but I'm not exactly sure if it healed 100%. Most of the time the muscles around it are pretty tight and unstretched, so I never notice that it's not healed right. Buuuut all this walking has definitely warmed up my muscles and kept them loose, which is usually a really good thing....not so much for the cankle. Because it pretty much is sore all the time. I'm hoping that after a while it just gets used to the walking...because thanks to my lack of job aka medical insurance, it doesn't look like a doctor's visit is in the cards!
-I have been rereading HP all summer and it, like always, fills my heart with complete joy.

That's it for now. On the horizon for this week is visiting the bakery from Cake Boss in Hoboken (YES YES YES), convincing Ma and Pa to see Promises, Promises (hellooooo Kristin Chenoweth) as well as The Lion King, and Coney Island next weekend. Also wearing the perfect shoes at least once. Ahhhh bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment