Monday, April 27, 2009

Shan and Dan's day of glor(ious resurrection)y.

So it's been a while. You might think this is because I haven't really felt inspired to write about anything in particular. If you do think this, you obviously did not get to see Opera Scenes's "All that Jazz".

No friends, it's been laziness that's caused me to abandon the disco, but don't fret, I haven't left forever. Stay tuned for future posts, including the highly anticipated "300 Reasons why I won't marry you".

Today I truly witnessed a miracle. Well two, if you count me actually getting even tanner than I already was. Double fist pump.

It started out like any other day...well I guess that's not true, because I actually went to Ethnomusicology. But in my defense, it was only because we had a test, and I didn't study for it. Don't worry, I'm still me. Slowly but surely I realized this would truly be a day of glory. For instance, I finished (and ended up getting an 80 on) my ethno test in a record 15 minutes, and due to my outstanding time, Sarah rewarded me with an Apple Fritter. I then proceeded to Opera History, in which I made my weekly to-do list (like usual) and made obscene comments with Sarah Davis. But what was unique about today's Opera History was that I actually semi-paid attention. This was due to the fact that we listened to Porgy and Bess, which is sort of Music Theater, therefore I sort of paid attention. Now I'll be able to answer the one (if any) question on the final about P&B (no J...heh heh heh) with FULL CONFIDENCE.

Glory continued in Visual Aspects, meaning we didn't really have Visual Aspects, which is always a cause for celebration. She gave us handouts and then we filled out evaluations. Three minutes...a new record. I was out of there by 11:33...17 minute class? Yes please. I then essentially ran to my car, because the TRUE glory lay ahead...NO HEALTH AND THEREFORE A FULL DAY OF COPPER BEECH POOL GOODNESS.

I convinced Dan to skip his class (it took a lot of convincing), and we met Evie at CB fresh prepared to get our biddie on. Operation Pocahontas had commenced. After we felt sufficiently baked (not high, to clarify... ....that rhymes) we got in the pool, which is where we spent literally the next three hours. Now at first I was alarmed at the amount of dead bugs in the pool. The most concerning of these was a giant dead hornet. After about an hour of splashing it away, Dan finally just scooped it out onto the side of the pool.

I'm sure at this point you're wondering why my story is so long, yet so lame. Because let's be honest, up until this point, I've basically just over-elaborated something that could be summarized in one sentence: I went to class, then went to the pool, and it was neat.
The reason I didn't do this is threefold:
1. This is a blog; I'm supposed to ramble on about things no one cares about.
2. I've had excellent English teachers (except maybe my Sophomore year of high school...Miss Jarvis...she was literally a biddie) who have taught me to appreciate the art of the English language, and I would be doing them a disservice by not sharing that with the world. This blog has the same elevated language, yet far more substance than The Red Badge of Courage...although I don't see any AP English 11 kids reading THIS for a grade...it's fine.
3. The title of this blog has RESURRECTION in it. Obviously this is going somewhere epic.

About a half hour goes by. For some reason, our eyes are drawn to the bee at the same time. THIS IS BECAUSE THE BEE MOVED. I am incredulous, because that bee had to have been in the CHLORINE ABYSS for at least an hour, and probably a lot longer than that. We both stare as the bee continues not only to move, but to get up on all 6 of its (apparently) INVINCIBLE legs and begin to flap its wings. I would like to point out that this bee was DEFINITELY not alive in the water. It didn't move once, and it took a good half hour for it to move once on dry land. So the fact that not only was this bee still alive but GETTING BACK INTO THE SWING OF THINGS basically blew my mind. We stared at said bee for probably five straight minutes, then watched as it gathered its strength and eventually FLEW AWAY.

In short...WE WATCHED A BEE RISE FROM THE DEAD.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Note: I later discovered that unlike with humans, when you drown a bee, the bee doesn't always die, sometimes it just goes unconscious (thanks discoverychannel.com). I do not feel like this actually takes away from the epicness of the story however, because the bee drowned in a pool full of chemicals, and is probably now some crazy mutant, like X-Bees. Luckily when the X-Bees decide to fight back against the human race, Dan and I will probably be set free (an eye for an eye is bee philosophy after all). Everyone else...sucks to be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment